Thursday, September 8, 2011

If you suffocate while taking a vitamin, is it still healthy?

How far will you go to get healthy? I have recently been trying vitamins to help with some health concerns. I have trouble taking multivitamins -- for some reason, they cause me to feel nauseated. I mentioned this to a doctor friend and was told that I could be having problems with the ingredients the vitamin manufacturers use to bind the vitamins together into one pill, and recommended I take them separately.

I now take at least 6 vitamins a day. I take Vitamin D3, B-Complex, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin E and Magnesium. Today, I decided to add Omega-3 to the collection. These are a mix of Fish, Flax, and Borage Oil. Mainly, I wanted to take the DHA Omega for mental acuity, so I could continue to use intelligent-sounding words like 'acuity.'
The instructions on the bottle say to take 2 of the pills. I reasoned if I'm to take 2 pills, then each pill must be fairly normal sized. Silly me. These pills are huge! Granted, they are liqui-gel sort of pills, so they are soft, but they are about twice the size of those old fashioned candies called Good 'n' Plenty. Above, you can see them, next to a nickel for size comparison. I decided to take the first one with a bit of Coca Cola, because there was no way I was going to gag because of a fish taste. Turns out that fish taste was the least of my problems. The first pill stuck in my throat -- SIDEWAYS. It was not a pleasant experience, and I'm really not sure if I can take two of these pills every day.

So if anyone has a better idea of how I can get 600 mg of DHA Omega-3, please let me know. Otherwise, trying to get healthy just might kill me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Darla,
I think you should ask Mark in our Triberr group. I bet he would know. LOL!!!! Good luck!
~Erin