Monday, November 8, 2010

Painting outside my comfort zone

Yesterday, I went to what I thought was just a bunch of people getting together at a community clubhouse to paint. But I had misunderstood - It was a painting class, and it was $25. Well, I was out of the house, child free, and game to try it.

The instructor has a Master's degree in Fine Art from Savannah College of Art and Design. Everything was included, and we painted a landscape picture step by step. Everyone has about 2 hours to work on the painting. The group of people were a mix of people who had painted a little bit to those who had never painted before. It's sort of a social thing of sipping wine while painting.

I've never enjoyed having a drink of any kind while painting. It only takes that one time of dipping a paint-filled brush into the wrong cup...

Usually, I know what I am going to paint before I paint it. I have the image either in the reference photograph or the image already visualized in my head. I like to know where I'm going. This was different, I had to just move along with the instructions and trust that it would be okay. It was time to let go of control and go with the flow.

I didn't know what the final result was to be, but only that it was a landscape. The instructor's style was different than my own. She was teaching to mix the colors on the canvas, and I am used to getting my color right on the palette first and testing it before I touch it to the canvas. I also usually paint with only 5 basic colors and mix anything I need. But in a quick class, there's no time for that, so there are different shades of one color

I asked a friend who never did this sort of thing before to share her thoughts about the class -

"I did experience 'living in the moment' while painting - which was my ultimate goal," Allison said. "It forced me to put all other thoughts aside and focus on one task. So overall I really enjoyed it. And let's not forgot the all important benefit of it being KID-FREE!
"

I liked that it did push me out of my comfort zone. I am tempted to try the scene one more time, and do a better job on the trees!

1 comment:

Katherine Thomas said...

That sounds like so much fun! Hm, I'll have to try that "sipping wine while painting" technique. Did it free up your creativity? I think it might for me...
Great landscape! Would you consider joining a new artists group? I'd love to see what you come up with for the theme "Candy and Sweets." http://littleartclub.blogspot.com/