Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why I welcome art criticism

I was once at a client's house to look through photographs to prepare for a pencil portrait. The lady went to the hall closet and from behind a bunch of old junk, pulled out a dusty framed pencil portrait that she had commissioned another artist to do. She spent quite awhile talking about parts of the artwork that weren't right that she didn't like. She explained she didn't even want to put it up on the wall.

That made me cringe. I would be horrified if customers accepted an artwork from me that they really didn't like. I never wanted to be the artist who created anything someone wasn't proud to show.

So, if a customer doesn't like their artwork, I welcome hearing that - I would much rather have the opportunity to make the client happy than have the client tell (or show) others their unhappiness!

I would think that any decent artist would want their clients to find joy in the artwork they've created. I'd much rather refund money than have my art hidden in a dark closet.

I was fortunate that I had this experience early on in my art business. It gave me an even greater service mindset, and I don't get upset when clients need the portrait adjusted or tweaked. We are on the same team and have the same goal - a good piece of art.

No comments: