Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mom was too nice and so right

Have you ever experienced a 'window' of time (usually when you first wake up or when you are about to fall asleep) in which you get good ideas, solutions to problems, or random things come to mind?

I think scientists have a name for it. I'm not a scientist, so don't ask me.

This morning during that period of time only scientists know the name of, the little sayings my mom would use when I was growing up came to mind:

When my brother and I would get in a fight, she'd emphatically say, "I'm going to put you two in a sack, shake it and see who comes up first!"

I never understood that. First of all, by "sack," I thought she meant a brown lunch bag, or maybe even a paper grocery sack (this was before the plastic trash bags). I knew we wouldn't fit into one of those bags, and even if we could both fit inside, clearly the paper wouldn't hold the weight of both of us. So what did it matter who came up first?

Since I've grown, I've realized she left off part of the phrase. It should have been, "I'll put you both in a gunny sack, shake it up, and whoever comes up first will get a beating." But my mom was too nice to say the entire phrase, even though we probably needed the full effect of the threat.

She'd also say, "Darla, you're such a pill." Heck, for years I thought it was a compliment. Pills help people feel better, right? But now I know it really meant that I was 'hard to take.' Like a giant pill that will make you gag.

Mom was too nice and so right.

2 comments:

acoloraffair said...

Darla - you are a hoot. I have heard those sayings before and never knew the true meaning of them. thanks for sharing that.

This just makes me think of the "terms" I use with my own kids. I'd like to say I don't have any but that wouldn't be accurate. Of course, right now I can't think of any.

My mom used to say "... your a-- is grass" AND TO THIS DAY ... I still don't know what that means.

And the part about the "time just before you wake up or fall asleep and the best ideas come then" ... you are so right - or someone's right about that - if I am struggling with an idea for a project and it's already close to bedtime (or my siesta), I'll go to sleep and when I wake up, the ideas are flowing again ... some ideas that were so out of the box, they actually worked.

Anyway - thanks for sharing!

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

I can explain the grass comment! LOL!