Thursday, July 29, 2010

Machete ruler

Another interesting find on a shopping trip recently was this metal ruler. I didn't buy it, but I've nicknamed it the Machete Ruler. It is shaped sort of like a machete. I've never seen one like this. Why would you need a strange ruler like this one? It makes me want to go hacking through... underbrush and measuring stuff at the same time. The wording on the ruler is: Vary Form Curve Ruler, manufactured by Fairgate. You can click on the photo to see the ruler in all its majesty (ie see it larger)

The weirdest ruler I own is a blue flexible curve ruler. It's what it sounds like - blue and flexible. It can be shaped into any kind of curve. I bought it thinking I would find a lot of uses for it, but mostly it's something useless and fun to play with - like a Slinky. I know it's probably very useful to someone who knows how. I'm just not that person. It turns out that curve rulers are mostly used by people who are making clothing, but they are often in the drafting supply section in art and craft stores. Artists occasionally use them, but apparently among artists, I'm not the only one who doesn't have anything to use them for :)

Never had a drafting class, but I sure love all the neat drafting gadgets, gizmos, and weird rulers.

No comments: