Friday, July 16, 2010

Childhood pictures

Darla in a tree photo montage scrapbook page

I never throw away photos, unless they are completely useless. Although I can create portraits from less-than-perfect photos sometimes to preserve someone's family photos, scrapbooking is also a useful thing to do.

I did this layout a couple years ago, using some childhood photos of mine (these are the old style Polaroids that you had to peel and they were wet until they fully developed). Seems hard to imagine that...and if you're not old enough, then you don't even know what I'm going on about!

I just imagined my design, hand-cut the papers to create the tree, and the leaves are of course just stickers. My favorite part is the lighter color on the tree. I remember deciding purposely NOT to cut off the white edge of the photos, because that's a vintage nature of them, but also there would be a risk of endangering the photos due to the chemicals in old Polaroid photos.

These photos are examples of what adults tend to do when taking a child's photo - they shoot downward at the child. It results in a big head and too-small body. Oh well, still better than not having any photos. But for the best angle, try to get on eye level with a child, then just let them play (or give them something new and interesting to hold in their hands) so they will be natural while you take their photo.

But in my brother's defense, I was probably always in his face, making it difficult for him to take a photo or even get away. I think my older brother took these pictures when he was on military leave from service in Vietnam. I was probably about 3 or 4-years-old.

Free photo tools I like that you might enjoy:

Pixlr.com
This is like a free PhotoShop-type site. No downloading needed. Just upload your photos.

Picnik.com
The hardest thing about this photo editing site is remembering how to spell it. You don't even have to sign up to use the basic features.

No comments: