Monday, July 26, 2010

Warning: Kids WILL Embarrass You

I took my 6-year-old son to the dentist today. He had sealants put on his teeth. I took my 4-year-old son along for the ride.

We were waiting in the aptly named waiting room and not yet completely destroying it, when an older woman came in. She checked in for her appointment then... sat down across from me.

I'm embarrassed to say that the 4-year-old (who should know better!) said, "Mommy, that girl is ugly." Luckily, he didn't say it really loudly, so I pulled him close to me and whispered in his ear, "That's not nice to say. Remember, only say nice things. You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything!"

I thought he got the message. I was thankful I had been able to handle it before he said something more loudly.

Unfortunately, what I didn't realize was that, unsatisfied by my reaction, he went over to his older brother on the other side of the waiting room, and told him that he thought the lady was "ugly."

The 6-year-old, in the prime age of Those-Who-Tattle, walked over to me and said, loudly and indignantly, "Moooom, he said that that lady's UGLY!!! He shouldn't say stuff like that!"

While it was great that my older son knew it was poor behavior for his brother to say the lady was ugly, he missed the greater point of not yelling it out so that the LADY herself could hear it.

I looked around for an escape hatch in the floor of the waiting room, but couldn't locate one. Waiting rooms really should be designed better.

1 comment:

cscottdraw said...

that really sucks, I would have died... I was at my brother in law's house yesterday and one of his daughters friends was over, they are 6. Anyways, she kept on standing up, walking over to my niece and whispering in her ear while staring at me. I can only assume it is because of my pink hair, and if its for meaner reasons then I dont care to know. Anyways I told this little girl who I didnt know, "Sweety, its rude to whisper secrets about other people, especially when you are starring at them. Please sit down, and if you have something to say you can say it aloud"...lol that was the end of it =)