Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Other Side of Summer

The boys with their washable ink stamp mustaches

I always hear about parenting being the hardest job ever. Sometimes I disagree (I'd rather be a mom than clean out septic tanks or fighting the Taliban). But some days, it does seem especially hard. Everything I need to get done can seem so overwhelming sometimes.

I think in the summer when the kids are out of school is the hardest time. The kids are home making messes faster than even an Olympic-qualifying house cleaner could keep up. I can multi-task, too. This morning I did dishes while cooking pancakes.

Now I'm writing this while my 4-year-old son pushes a windbreaker jacket at me. He wants to wear it, even though he doesn't need a jacket today (it's been 90+ degrees in Georgia lately) and the jacket is 2 sizes too small for him. (He finally accepted my explanation that although the jacket still exists, that doesn't mean he can still wear it).

Part of the summertime problem is that the schedule is all out of whack. I'm trying to get the kids to bed at a decent hour, but there's always one or two who napped in the day then can't sleep at night until very late. That keeps me up very late but unable to do much else but watch kids. So the solution would seem to be to get up early and work. Nope - the other two got up early. I end up staying up too late and then getting up too early.

I'm going to spend an hour cleaning like a maniac then get to work on art. If momma ain't happy, nobody's going to be happy!

If you are a work-at-home parent, I sure could use your favorite summertime survival tips! How do you get work done in the summer?

No comments: