Friday, July 2, 2010

Busy Thursday

Today I was finally able to get over to the food bank to take them the 4 bags of food we were able to collect at the Snellville Farmers' Market. I was also thrilled to take them $195 in checks and cash - the money was raised by selling art at the farmers' market. My daughter went with me. I really felt that what I raised (with help of another artist, Sharna Fulton) was just a drop in a bucket, when I heard about a large business donation the food bank had received. But then I told myself that $195 can help several families, and it will get used. The money and food donations all are needed right now.

The director of the food bank gave us a tour and overview of the operations of the food bank. Wow, what an operation, and so organized! I think she said that 140,000 cans of food go through their doors every year. My daughter is giving serious thought to volunteering there. I told her to give it 24 hours to think it over, and then perhaps commit to helping during the month of July to start.

Earlier in the day, I had to run to the grocery store for some basics. On the way home, I stopped by a new "ice cream" place we have here, called Berens Frozen Custard. I bought two small containers of their chocolate frozen custard. Good stuff, I just ate some a moment ago while writing this blog post (I know! I am bad!) This stuff is seriously good though. Tomorrow I restart the diet for the 10 millionth time. While talking to the owner, Mark Berens, I came up with a really good marketing idea for him. I won't go into the details of the idea here, but I think Mark is going to put it into action. It's something that will help his business and help a local charity at the same time. I just want to know why I can come up with million dollar ideas for other people, but not myself?!? LOL! Why am I not rich? ;-) Well, I am rich in another way, if I can help someone else.

In the late afternoon, I took my son to Tae Kwon Do class. He earned some more "tips" on his belt. The tips are basically pieces of black tape that denote skill building. When he gets about 12 on his current yellow belt, then he can test for the orange belt rank. I think he just needs a couple more. Those tips represent real effort. While he was in his class, I sat in the waiting area and worked on a portrait commission. I do really love the lighting they have there!

After his class, we went to the store and bought some scuba masks, some foam noodles, and diving toys. We went home and rested a bit, then I took all 4 kids to the pool. We really had a blast, but I am super tired now. I guess that balances out the calories from the frozen custard...? Maybe?

Somewhere in this crazy day, I managed to get a couple loads of laundry done, walked the dog about 2 times, and my daughter did the dishes (YEAH!!!) so that was really cool.

Finally caught up on The Next Great Artist that we had recorded on the DVR. Two artists were eliminated from the competition. They were supposed to create disturbing images. They certainly succeeded in that. More than disturbing, I was grossed out!

2 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

You can get a LOT more into a single day than I can! Wow! You did so many great things for so many people! You need another ice cream!

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Thanks Katherine. I laugh maniacally whenever somebody asks me what my plans for the day ahead are. I really should get it more under control, but the day runs me more than I run my day.