Friday, July 23, 2010

Back to school shopping

Here in Gwinnett County, Georgia. School starts again August 9th. I just returned from back-to-school shopping with my daughter. We went to a major department store that normally has clothing we like.

However, (WARNING!) apparently the look for Fall 2010 is paisley, plaid, or grungy. ... There are even some items of clothing that combine all three looks.

It's no struggle to stay on budget when the styles are so ugly. I don't know if it's the fashion industry in general or if the department store has an inventory buyer with extremely bad taste. The fabric patterns were especially hideous.

Another lady shopping in the store had a look of dismay on her face. I asked her, "Is it just me, or are these clothes really all unattractive?" She said that no, it wasn't just me. She didn't care for most of the clothes either, and she wasn't finding anything she liked.

I tried on two dresses myself. One made my body look like a tree. Absolutely no shape to it. The other dress made me look like a floozy. Too much shape to it. Would it be too much to ask to find a dress that is somewhere in between tree trunk and floozy?

1 comment:

Katherine Thomas said...

Ew, thanks for the warning. August 9th is early! Wow! But my daughter's back to school shopping is going to involve a new bed, vacuum, curtains... not sure what else. (It's her first apartment.) I'd much rather shop for ugly clothing!
P.S. I never wear dresses because of what you described. I wear dress pants and a blazer when I have to dress up.