Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tree Frog Painting Continued & Cocker Spaniel Dog Portrait

Tree Frog Painting, Acrylic - 14"x14"
Work In Progress
If you'd like to see how the painting looks now, click here.

I had a very productive art day today. Mostly due to staying off the computer! Honestly, there should be a 12-Step program for Facebook and Twitter.

I worked on a colored pencil portrait of a Cocker Spaniel. It is looking pretty good, but I have a lot more work to do on it. See it below. I worked on it as long as I could stand it, took a break and then felt like painting, so I decided to get started on the tree frog painting. This photo is the painting in its unfinished state.

The white areas will be filled with the pink/orange tones...then I think I will probably build up all the layers of paint to give it more texture. I'm really happy with how this is working out.

Cocker Spaniel Dog Portrait - Work in Progress
11x14 Colored Pencil on Colored Matboard

The Cocker Spaniel dog portrait is not going as perfectly as the tree frog painting at this point, but I'm confident that when I work on it some more it will improve. I'm always too hard on myself. I have to remind myself of that quite often. I'm doing this portrait on a colored matboard. I have to build up the layers of colored pencil (I'm using Prismacolor) to get the colors to "pop."

If you look on the right side of the dog portrait, you can see some scribblings. I write the colors of the colored pencils down as I use them. When possible, I do this on the same base as the drawing. It's like leaving myself a trail to follow, if I decide I want/need a certain color again - then I can find out what it was. When I pick up the artwork again, I know exactly what colors I was using.

If you'd like to see the previous step of the frog painting, click here
.
If you'd like to see how the painting looks now, click here.

No comments: