Thursday, June 24, 2010

This painting is NOT called Fried Eggs in a Tree


What would you call this painting? Oh I've got it - Sunny Side Up Fried Egg Tree with Bunny Ears.

Nope.

This painting is called Roses for Seagulls Lost at Sea and was created by artist Marsden Hartley (1877-1943). The auction house Christie's had an art auction in May, and expected to get $300,000 to $500,000 for this. Christie's took out a full page ad on the back cover of Antiques & Fine Art Magazine. (The back cover costs more than an inside-the-magazine ad, by the way.)

I need to look up the artist to learn more about him and find out how well this painting did in the sale. I don't know if people think this is worth so much money because it's old, or what. As my daughter would ask me, "Jealous much?" LOL!

I'm just left scratching my head.
But this painting is growing on me a bit, and that has me scratching my head even more.

No comments: