Saturday, June 19, 2010

Snellville Farmers' Market Cat Painting

Big Eyed Cat, Darla Dixon - June 19, 2010
24"x30" Acrylic on gallery-wrapped canvas

Returned home from Snellville Farmers' Market about 1 pm. Completely drenched in perspiration. I would say "sweat," but ladies don't sweat, we perspire. Immediately took a shower and then perspired some more. It was about 91 degrees out there, but it felt hotter. The 'heat index' is 96.

If you remember, I started on this cat painting on Thursday night. I finished it up at the Farmers' Market today. The painting raised $45 for our local food bank this week! We had two wonderful volunteers from the food bank come out in shifts to help, Marlene and Sharon. Their help was invaluable, because they were able to explain to people visiting that the artwork was being done for a good cause - that it would be auctioned to help the food bank. We just kept telling people that just a bid increase of $1 more could make them the winning bidder, so the bids kept going up.

I saw some of the same people from the previous weekends. That shows that word is getting around of what we are doing. They are curious to come back to my festival tent and "see what I'm painting this week."

The only downside is the weather. After I get home, I am so beat. Right after the shower, I took a 2 hour nap. Definitely it's good experience for me. Mainly the nap part. ;-)

I did discover that starting the painting and getting at least two-thirds of the way done with it is the best thing to do. People really aren't interested in the planning stages of the painting. They like seeing the final details come together. I must admit that it did also take a lot of time pressure off me to do that. I was able to go around to some of the booths and buy some goodies. I bought bread from Daybreak Farms (Raisin Cinnamon Bread and Cheese Bread) and some honeycomb from right here in Snellville. Really delicious. It was a fun day.

2 comments:

Laura Drake, Director said...

Reading your post from the beach. LOVE the kitty picture. Looks just like my Bama. Hate that I missed the bidding. I would have loved to hang it on my wall. Thanks again for supporting the Co-op using your amazing talent!
Laura

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Laura, thank you for all you do for our community. It's really an honor to help the food bank and bring arts to the community.