Thursday, June 17, 2010

Normal Facebook discussions hijacked by extremists

The political discussions on Facebook are about to drive me out of my mind! I really try to avoid them, because my "problem" is, I'm a Centrist. Some of my views are kind of Conservative, and some of my views could be considered more Liberal. It depends upon the issue. I'm kind of Libertarian, but not even that. I don't tie myself to one party or talk show host and absorb it like it's the only truth. I don't like extremism of either end of the spectrum. I don't even like the labels of "Conservative" and "Liberal." I don't know why we have to be so divided and full of hate.

What really irks me lately is when a conversation thread on Facebook isn't even about politics, but someone pipes in and makes it go that way. I'll just make up a couple examples:

Conservative Birther Conversation Killer breaks in:

Anne: "Wow, I got some really good deals at the grocery store today."
Debbie: "Oh yeah? What did you get?"
Anne: "I bought some bananas"
Bob: "Did they come from Hawaii, where Obama CLAIMS he was born, but we ALL KNOW he is really a Muslim terrorist out to eat all our babies, and the Liberal biased media just shuts a blind eye to that?!? And while I'm at it, why don't we go to Sarah Palin for advice on the oil spill, after all, she's from Alaska where they know about oil, and she has real executive experience"

Liberal Sarah Palin Hater Conversation Killer breaks in:

Anne: "Wow, I got some really good deals at the grocery store today."
Debbie: "Oh yeah? What did you get?"
Anne: "I bought some bananas"
Betty: "You know what drives ME bananas? How the biased Conservative media always portrays Sarah Palin as the Real American Hero, when we all should know by now that she's an idiot. She can see Russia from her house, huh? We should use Sarah Palin to plug the BP oil spill."

I mean, really. It's gone insane, people. If you don't stop it, I'm going to put all of you in time out. No, you can't have a banana. "Here's an apple," the artist said as she threw it, bonking you on the head.

1 comment:

Lynn Boivin said...

LOL....I totally agree with this. I get so tired of all the politics.