Sunday, June 13, 2010

Painting a brighter future

Sharna Fulton painting at the Snellville Farmers' Market

Yesterday, I was in my tent at the Snellville Farmers' Market. Artist Sharna Fulton, creator of Chloe Pink (TM) joined me. We both created paintings that were silent auctioned. 100% of our painting proceeds helps our local food bank, the Southeast Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry.

It was fun to have another artist with me to commiserate about the heat and humidity! It is really a challenge to be in a festival tent in 91 degree Georgia heat. I try to drink a lot of water and Gatorade, but even that is a challenge, because the Farmers' Market ends at noon, and that's when we end the art auction. The acrylic paint dries fast and there's little time, so I have to paint very fast and furiously most of the time.

Not a lot of time for chatting. I've been at the Farmers' Market for two Saturdays, and I haven't had time to walk around and buy anything from other booths at all.

But it's all worth it. Sharna and I together raised $110 for the food bank yesterday. It will go a long way. The director of the food bank told me that they have had to operate without cash for quite some time. Families in need really struggle in the summertime. Many families really depend on the free or reduced lunch provided in public schools and when school's out for the summer, the kids really eat a lot.

I've always felt that God gave me this talent for some reason. I think it's my duty to give back when I can. I'm glad to be able to use my talent to help others.

You don't have to be an artist to help your community. Everybody has something to give. If you don't want to get overly-committed to volunteering for something, but you want to try it, a great way to start is to volunteer on your birthday. It's just one day a year, and it's probably the best way you can say thank you for another year of life.

Links:
Snellville Farmers'Market
Southeast Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry food bank & more
Sharna Fulton - Chloe Pink Cartoon
Darla Dixon (me!)

2 comments:

sharna said...

Why would you put MY picture on YOUR blog? You are truly generous, Darla. A real treasure to the Snellville community. Not just for donating your talent and thus money to the Food Bank, but in promoting art in our town. Thanks again for letting me be a part of your idea.
P.S. I'm getting you back. Look for YOUR picture on MY blog: www.chloepinkcartoon.blogspot.com

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Aw, thanks! Well that's just how I roll. lol