Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tae Kwon Do

I've started Tae Kwon Do classes. I'd been thinking about joining a gym, and that's a lot cheaper I guess, but using a workout machine has never appealed to me. I like my exercise to have a purpose. In Tae Kwon Do, I get a good workout, and I get a skill.

Even though I'm an antique girl, I haven't had experience with punching anything or anyone. Most little boys will get into a scuffle of some kind by the time they reach middle school. But girls - not as likely. So hitting the Wavemaster punching bag at TaeKwonDo has been very interesting to me. I can throw a punch. If I have to punch somebody now to defend myself, I'm more confident that I can do it and not hold back. Much better than going "Ooh, ooh!" and doing little girlie slaps. Those are not very effective.

The other thing I like about Tae Kwon Do is that there is an instructor who is like a kindly drill sergeant. If I was self-managed in a gym, I would tend to go easy on myself. It's just human nature to take the easiest way. But the TKD instructor consistently pushes me onward to explore my physical limits. I know this is gross, but I have to tell you that the perspiration literally drips off me, this is such a good workout. This is not the type of "workout" that allows me to listen to an iPod or read a book while doing it.

I used to be very athletic - I was on a basketball team (I was so-so but decent), on a volleyball team (I was considered the best player because I could do an intimidating overhand serve), and I rode my bike, played tennis, softball, and Frisbee almost every day. I even went to a volleyball boot-camp one summer. I was fit.

But over the years and 4 kids later, I've had what I call my "poofy belly" and been lazy physically. Since November of 2009, I've been walking my dog three times a day, went completely off sugar, and within a few months dropped 20 lbs. But now the weight loss is a challenge again, so I decided Tae Kwon Do would be a good choice to step up my fitness a notch.

I had gotten so out of shape that I couldn't do push ups or sit ups. Well guess what? Now I can. Now I can do those and more.

If I can financially do it, I plan to continue to become Black Belt level. As Yoda would say, "There is no try, there is only do."

[The photo above was taken after my first class. I can already see after 4 classes that my leg position is incorrect!]

2 comments:

Susan said...

Congrats! I hope you continue to enjoy it! I made it to green belt before the mom taxi obligations forced me to "retire." ;-)

Darla Dixon, Artist said...

Green! Very impressive! I hope if you take it up again you will join me where I am going!